For Canadian Patients
The DMC Harper University Hospital Bariatric Surgery Center is a preferred provider for the Ontario Ministry of Health offering a variety of bariatric (weight loss) surgery procedures to Canadian patients. Just follow the 4 simple steps outlined below to begin your journey to a healthy life!
The Ontario Ministry of Health covers the following bariatric surgery procedures for approved patients:
Why Choose the DMC Harper University Hospital Bariatric Surgery Center?
- The DMC Bariatric Surgery Center at Harper University Hospital is a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence. It is recognized for meeting the rigorous standards set forth by the nation’s highest accreditation organizations.
- Harper Bariatric Medicine Institute is recognized as a preferred provider for bariatric surgery by the Ontario Ministry of Health. Our surgeons have performed thousands of weight loss surgery procedures and are rated among the top in the nation.
- As with all DMC medical services, bariatric patients have the added benefit of 100% computerized doctors’ orders, and 100% medication scanning, putting patient safety first.
- At the Harper Bariatric Medicine Institute, our patients have the support of a comprehensive health care system providing a wide range of services to meet any need.
- Harper Bariatric Medicine Institute is conveniently located, just a few miles from the Windsor/Detroit border. Click here for a map/directions.
- Our Canadian patients have the benefit of coordinating all their health care needs through our International Services department. This department attends to the special concerns and needs of international patients and their families. Staff members can help with all aspects of planning a visit to the Detroit Medical Center providing one efficient process to ensure all aspects of care are addressed.
DMC Harper University Hospital Bariatric Surgery Center would like to make the process to a healthier you as convenient as possible. We will provide you with a knowledgeable International Services Coordinator to assist you with this process throughout your entire experience.
Just follow these steps to get started:
1. Contact a Detroit Medical Center International Services Coordinator at 1-800-745-6447 or go to www.dmc.org/ic. The coordinator will answer all your questions and act as your DMC liaison from this point forward.
2. Your Canadian primary care physician will need to complete the “Prior Approval Application for Full Payment of Out-of-Country Health Services” form and submit it the Ontario Ministry of Health. This form can be obtained by your physician or by going to www.health.gov.on.ca/.
3. Once your Canadian primary care physician has submitted the application, the Ontario Ministry of Health will respond to you within 30-90 days. A copy of the response will also be sent to your physician and DMCInternational Services.
4. If the Ministry of Health Approves your request, your DMC International Services coordinator will then contact you to set up your initial consultation with a DMC bariatric surgeon.
To ensure convenient travel to the United States, patients should bring the following documentation to expedite the border crossing process:
- Passport or Enhanced Driver’s License/Enhanced Identification Card
- DMC Consultation Letter/Email provided by your International Center Representative
For more information on the border crossing process or to get your passport or approved identification, go to www.getyouhome.gov.